R-YES is a 5-year project (2020-2024) implemented in consortium led by Kilimo Trust, Rwanda Youth in Agribusiness Forum (RYAF) and Rwanda Polytechnic (RP)- with Integrated Polytechnic Regional Colleges (IPRCs) as training centers for R-YES project beneficiaries. The project aims at building technical know-how and entrepreneurial capacities of rural youth in agribusiness to create skilled workforce for gainful wage employment or creation of own agribusinesses (as providers of products/ services)to more than 1,200 direct youth (50% female) and 1,800 indirect youth from 16 districts including: North (Gicumbi, Rulindo, and Musanze), West (Nyabihu, Rubavu, and Rusizi), South (Nyanza, Ruhango, Gisagara, Kamonyi and Huye), and East (Nyagatare, Kayonza, Rwamagana, Ngoma and Bugesera).
The project funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Nature of support:
- Building technical skills through short vocational courses (3 to 6 months) in agribusiness that will be offered in IPRCs.
- Work-place learning and apprenticeship opportunities in partnership with agribusiness companies to expose youth to the world of work.
- Start-up support to most innovative and profitable agribusiness projects with potential to create new job opportunities.
The service details
- YES is organize training short courses (3 to 6 months) to provide youth with knowledge and technical skills for gainful wage employment or creation of own agribusinesses (products or services) related to Dairy, Poultry, Piggery, Potatoes, Maize, Rice, and Vegetables (Tomatoes, Onions, Cabbage, Carrots, Chilli, Green pepper, and French beans).
Outcomes of the Training
- Youth who are passionate about working or investing in agribusiness will acquire required technical skills.
- Start-up support will be given to most innovative and profitable agribusiness projects with potential to create new job opportunities.
- Training participants will obtain training certificates.
- Training costs is paid directly to the training colleges (host). i.e. tuition fees, meals, accommodation (where necessary), training materials/ Curriculum (developed together with IPRCs colleges), and other related costs.
The selection of the youth to attend R-YES is based on a competitive application process, and the applicant must be:
- Able to read and write,
- Aged between 16 – 35years,
- Someone who completed 9 years basic education, Senior Three (S.3), Senior Six (S.6), TVET, IPRC, or University who has been out of school for at least 2 years.
- Passionate about working or investing in agribusiness.
- Be committed to complete the full period of the training (3 to 6 months).
- Be a holder of a valid health insurance card.
- Priority will be given to residents of R-YES target districts below:
- Northern Province: Rulindo, Gicumbi, and Musanze,
- Eastern Province: Nyagatare, Kayonza, Rwamagana, Bugesera, and Ngoma,
- Southern Province: Kamonyi, Ruhango, Nyanza, Huye, and Gisagara,
- Western Province: Nyabihu, Rubavu, and Rusizi.
Role of RYAF in consortium
- Conducted the project awareness campaign via districts in district authority,
- Mobilized the youth across all application processes via media, socio-media
- Facilitated the youth beneficiaries selection processes from the design of the selection criteria up to the final approval of the beneficiaries for the cohort 1.
- Facilitated the assessment on gross margin and profitability analysis over potentials project value chains
- Conducted the identification and profiling of the agribusiness companies from where the youth will be assigned for the in-company know-how training
- Identified the mentors and assigned to each of the youth in the project.
- Supported the finalist youth in developing their bankable business plans.
- Organize the advocacy meeting for creating the enabling environment to the youth projects beneficiaries over the most challenges hindering job creation, in agribusiness.
- Connecting the youth graduands with agribusiness opportunities in the forum.
- In the first cohort, 356 youth completed their technical and experiential learning in agribusiness from Integrated Polytechnic Regional Colleges (IPRCs), TVET schools, agribusiness industries/ companies, and centers of Rwanda Agriculture and Animal Resources Development Board (RAB) and The certificates award ceremony took place on Thursday 17th November 2022 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM at a stadium of Rwanda Polytechnic’s Kigali Campus (IPRC-Kigali) located in Kicukiro, Kigali. where the leaders of technical colleges, agribusiness industries, partnering institutions, line ministries including ministry of agriculture and animal resources, and local government officials attended the ceremony. in this january 2023, the second cohort of more than 300 youth will also be started again.
For more infos visit to https://www.kilimotrust.org/index.php